Sunday, February 8, 2015

2015 Sankrant at Baroda, India

Hello Kite Lovers,

This year for the annual Indian kite flying festival, I again took a trip to Baroda, which is the western state in India. It's here that the fighting spirit still rages and cities come to a stand still as people enjoy their kite flying.

This year I had my family with me, my parents, my eight year old son and Amita, my wife. We stayed at my cousins place - Jagruti and Sanju are great hosts. Joining us also was my childhood friend Viru with his family. It's been years that we have been trying to organize to fly kites together on Sankrant and this year we finally made it. Viru and me used to fly kites together way back since we were in, I think, 1st Grade.

Another wonderful thing this year was that we planned our trip to land in Baroda two days prior to the Sankrant so that we could catch the kite buying frenzy. Streets are littered with kite vendors, every street corner they are making maja ( the sharp thread used in kite fighting). It was magical. Take a look at this video and experience the fun for yourself.

Kay Po Che.


No comments: